Sodium requirement

Patient

Q: I have been on the 28 day fast metabolism diet for 23 days and have had absolutely no dairy or processed foods so I have had very little sodium. I would like to know how much sodium is required daily?

Doctor

A:   Daily requirement of sodium as salt is around 4-6 g for an adult. Since you had diet low in sodium, though there are chances of hyponatremea, human body is well tuned to conserve sodium to avoid hyponatremea. But to be sure serum electrolytes must be investigated to check any electrolyte imbalance and correct accordingly. Consult a physician with test reports for further advise.