Something heavy fell on my back

Patient

Q: Something heavy fell on my lower back on the right side yesterday and it still hurts, what should i do to reduce the pain?

Symptoms:  Back pain...especially when bending down or when you touch where it hurts
Doctor

A:   Thank you for your question. It is possible that you sustained a soft tissue and muscle contusion (bruise) of the lower back. Your spine may also be involved in this injury as you are experiencing pain as you bend over. You can treat this pain by applying an ice back for 15-20 minutes at a time to relieve any swelling and inflammation. You can also take some oral analgesic medication such as 500mg Ibuprofen or Acetaminophen if you have no allergies to either of these medications. We would like you to have your doctor examine your back to make sure there are no serious injuries to your spine. If left untreated a spinal column injury, especially in the lumbar region (lower back) can greatly impede your mobility, and cause life long pain. Please be guided accordingly.

Thank you for choosing AskTheDoctor.com