Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Son has strep and fever wont go down

Son has strep and fever wont go down

Patient: My 4 yr old son has strep, just started antibiotics today. He has another fever of 104.8. I gave him motrin about an hour ago along with cold wash clothes on his head and body. It has only dropped 1 degree. What else can i do?

Doctor: I understand your concern about your son’s condition. You have to be patient, his temperature is decreasing and he just t started taking his antibiotics and would at least 24 hours to start fighting the infection, I would suggest you to continue giving him Motrin or Acetaminophen for the fever plus physical measures such as lukewarm baths and keep him on light clothes.He already lost some temperature and would be ideal to keep him hydrated. Don’t stop his antibiotics even if he starts feeling better before finishing his treatment. I wish him a prompt recovery.