Son kicked in the penis and foreskin is cut on the end

Patient

Q: Hi. my 8 year old son was kicked in his penis by his 11 year old sister by accident. His foreskin was always tight from birth and not able to pull back far. After she kicked him he has small lacerations on the tip of the foreskin and it is painful. What should I do?

Symptoms:  Bleeding and painful
Doctor

A:   Thank you for your question. It is possible that your son has a preexisting condition called phimosis. This is a condition in which the foreskin of the penis becomes tightened, making it difficult to retract. Given this recent injury, it would be wise to have him examined by a doctor to determine if he requires any topical antibiotic creams to prevent or treat any infection of these lacerations. We also recommend that you schedule an appointment with a urologist to determine if he requires a surgical procedure called circumcision to remove this tightened foreskin, as this can become worse as he gets older.

Thank you for consulting AskTheDoctor.com