x
Browse
152 Physicians Online

Question:

Sore and swollen toe

My toe has been getting progressively more swollen and painful, I turned my ankle a few weeks ago, wondering if this pain could be an after effect?

Answer:

If during the turn of the ankle the toe was not involved then is not likely that the ankle turn is causing the toe problem. Many cases of toe pain are due to injury or age-related wear and tear on the skin, muscles, bones, joints, tendons, and ligaments of the toe. Common causes of toe pain include calluses, arthritis and bunions. However, infectious diseases, neurological conditions, and other abnormal processes can also affect the toe, for example high levels of Uric acid or Gout. The complications of toe pain depend on the underlying disease, disorder or condition. Mild toe pain due to ill-fitting or tight shoes usually responds to rest, ice, over-the-counter anti-inflammatory medications, and wearing comfortable shoes. Because toe pain can be progressive, failure to seek treatment can result in complications and permanent damage. It is important to visit your  doctor when you experience any kind of persistent pain or other unusual symptoms. Once the underlying cause is diagnosed, following the treatment plan outlined by your doctor can lower your risk of potential complications.

Sign In to join in the conversation.

You’re in good hands, meet ATD’s founding physicians.

• Board Certified GP
  • CMO ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Adjunct Professor at U Of T

• Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
  • Director ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Fellowship Training Atlanta, GA