Sore itchy throat and a cough: What should I do?

Patient : Itchy scrachy throat at night that wakes me up coughing in the middle of the night!!
Doctor :   You may be having a viral or bacterial upper respiratory tract infection or a strep throat. You can use some remedies li ke lozenges, warm saline water gargles, some cough medication. However if the symptoms become worse or the cough is keeping you up at night please consult a physician in person for a complete examination and a prescription of antibiotics or cough medication like codeine if needed. All the best.