Sore or broken knuckle

Patient

Q: What is done for a possible broken knuckle?? I banged it and it blew up to twice its size, then iced it and weeks later a slight touch is still very painful??

Symptoms:  Sore knuckle for weeks
Doctor

A:   Thank you for your question. A fractured metacarpal bone within the hand will have to be assessed by a doctor and undergo and x ray to determine the severity of this fracture. If there is a fracture, you will likely need to have your hand placed in a cast for several weeks to assist in optimal healing. Please seek medical attention immediately.

Thank you for consulting AskTheDoctor.com