x
75 Physicians Online

Question:

Sore Throat

Hi, I started with a sore throat two weeks ago - it got progressively worse for 4 days, then i developed a very bad unproductive dry cough. I went to a minute clinic and they did a step test which was negative. A week has passed and its gotten slowly better, but yesterday, the throat got sore again (the cough is still pretty much gone). Question: should I go through the trouble of seeing a doctor for antibiotics? Would antibiotics be a consideration here? Thanks!

Answer:

Hello, I comprehend your worry about possible throat infection. After carefully reading your case, since your doctor ruled out a bacterial source of infection it won’t be necessary for you to take antibiotics. Remember that antibiotics only work for bacteria and won’t do anything for viral infections like the one you might have. However there could be viral infections that later turn into bacterial.
Sore throats are most commonly produced due to a viral infection, usually they won’t need special treatment, just resting plenty of warm fluids and possibly anti inflamatories would be enough, they could last from 1 to 2 weeks since the virus needs to finish its process.
If you just have pain after talking but noticed that the other symptoms improved, I will suggest you to rest your voice and drink plenty of fluids; this could be caused by a compromise of the larynx only. But if you notice high fever, sputum production pus in your throat you might want to consult your physician again for a possible prescription of antibiotics after his evaluation. I wish you a prompt recovery.

Have a Question? Ask The Doctor Here.

Sign In to join in the conversation.