x
152 Physicians Online

Question:

Sore throat and Reflux disease

HI BEEN HAVING A PROBLEM WIYH MY THROA AND NECK IT FEELS SWOLLEN AND SORE ITS BEEN LIKE THIS FOR MONTHS. AND IM GETTING WORRIED IT MIGHT BE SERIOUS IT FEELS LIJE IM GETTING CHOKED AND FEELS LIKE I GOT LOT IF MUCOUS IN MY THROAT BUT THERE'S NOTHING THERE I THINKVIT MIGHT BE MY THYROIDS IT COMES AT NIGHT THE WORSE

Answer:

Symptoms of irritating dry cough at night could be caused due to reflux disease and need to be ruled out. The back flow of acid from the stomach can reach the oesophagus and sometimes the throat, which initiates the throat and is especially troublesome when lying down. Your symptoms may improve with a trial of over the counter antacids and lifestyle modifications like avoiding coffee, tea, not lying down after a meal and stopping smoking (if you are a smoker). If your symptoms do not get better you may even need prescription medications like H2 blockers and proton pump inhibitors to control the reflux.

Have a Question? Ask The Doctor Here.

Sign In to join in the conversation.