x
155 Physicians Online

Question:

Sore throat for two weeks

I am 32, healthy, however I have had a sore throat for 2 weeks with no other symptoms. No fever, no cold/flu, not tired, not achy, no other syptoms, just a sore throat for 2 weeks.
Is it tonsillitis, should I consider getting them removed?

Answer:

Hello, I understand your concern about possible pharyngitis. The most common cause of this is due to Viruses. Usually the health care provider makes a diagnosis by examining the throat. Viral infections are usually milder than bacterial ones which are commonly accompanied by fever, sputum production, pain while swallowing and pus could be present in the tonsils. There is no specific treatment for viral pharyngitis. You can relieve symptoms by gargling with warm salt water (one half-teaspoon of salt in a glass of warm water) several times a day and taking anti-inflammatory drugs or medications, such as acetaminophen, to control fever or anti-inflammatory medication. Removal of tonsils or Tonsillectomy is usually suggested if a patient suffers from recurrent bacterial infections more than 3 times in a year. I dont think it would be necessary or appropriate in your case. I wish you a prompt recovery.

Sign In to join in the conversation.

You’re in good hands, meet ATD’s founding physicians.

• Board Certified GP
  • CMO ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Adjunct Professor at U Of T

• Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
  • Director ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Fellowship Training Atlanta, GA