x
151 Physicians Online

Question:

Sore throat since twenty years

Hi, I am 27 years old, I had tonsillectomy around 20 years ago, it went well, but my throat sensitivity didn't go away, I fall severely ill 3-4 times a year, and apart from this most of the time have bad throat. I also have chronic sinusitis and a history of bronchial asthma. 5 years back had an abscess in my throat, got hospitalized, problem solved. The it again relapsed 1.5 yr back, then again relapsed 9 months back and now again it has occurred. My ENT specialist have told me that these abscesses are due to TONSILLAR RAMNANTS. Should I go for a surgery?

Answer:

Removal of the tonsillar remnants will likely prevent any further abscess formation. You seem to be in significant distress from chronic sore throats as well as recurrent abscesses. I think it is in your best interest to have the tonsillar remnants surgically removed so that you can eliminate these issues and avoid the time off from your normal activities that accompanies these illnesses.

Sign In to join in the conversation.

You’re in good hands, meet ATD’s founding physicians.

• Board Certified GP
  • CMO ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Adjunct Professor at U Of T

• Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
  • Director ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Fellowship Training Atlanta, GA