Sore throath and Fever of 102

Q: My son has a bad sore throat aches and pains and is running a fever of 102.56. What should I do? He hasnt complained of a soar throat and hasnt has a cold recently. But I am worried about his fever.I just gave him some tyelenol and I am hoping that it will help bring down the fever. What do I do if his fever gets worse.

A:   I recognize your worry about your son’s sore throat. Having a sore throat or Pharyngitis could be very common at this time of the year. Most of the causes are viral in which only slight fever, inflammation and redness of the tonsils is present but sometimes is due to bacteria in which pus in the tonsils and pain while swallowing could also be present.
I suggest you to treat the fever with the same medication and also give him plenty of fluids at ambient temperature. He could also shower with warm water, this helps reducing the fever as well. Gargling with salt water relieves the pain from the sore throath. If in the next couple of days, if he is not feeling better, a visit to the physician would be recommended to rule out bacterial pharyngitis and probably the need of antibiotics. I hope he feels better.