Sore Vein on Penis

Patient

Q: About 2 weeks ago I randomly got a sharp sting-like pain in the side of my penis. The only way I can describe it is the same pain you'd get if you pulled an arm hair out, but obviously on the penis. It lasted for a minute or so then went away. Since then it has felt raw to touch and is uncomfortable when my boxers rub against it. The area that hurts has a vein running along it which is noticeably dark blue. I don't recall it being that dark before.

It does seem to very slowly become less painful each day in that one spot, and isn't spreading. However sexual activities do aggravate it.

I have no discharges or anything like that, and no noticeable swelling or obvious marks, just this dark vein. I have always used a condom during sex too.

Doctor

A:   Thank you for your question. The change in colour that you have observed coupled with the pain concerns us that you may have an infection. If it is along one of the dorsal veins of the penis, it is possible that this may be a condition known as phlebitis ( a localized infection of the vein). We are not certain how this could have been caused, and we recommend that you have your doctor examine the area. If this is indeed an infection, topical or oral medications can be prescribed to treat this infection. To prevent the worsening of your symptoms, please see your doctor immediately.

Thank you for choosing AskTheDoctor.com