90 Physicians Online


Soreness in the Iliac Crest

Dear Ask The Doctor:
Should I see a doctor again?? The last 5 weeks I've been experiencing pain in my right hip everytime I stand up. The iliac crest, is what they said. I had an xray done last week but nothing to be found, the last 5 days I've been experiencing soreness in the soft tissue around that area as well, towards the stomach more. My chiropractor is convinced it is merely muscle tension and tells me to do deep knee bends to build the muscle, but how do I do that if my side is going to burst? My doctor didn't offer any explanation other than ordering an xray. Should I go back to see a doctor again??


According with the description that you made of your iliac crest pain and how it developed, most likely you may have a Neuropathy, which produces a pain occurring from a peripheral nerve inflammation not associated with the spinal cord called Neuritis that causes pain in the upper anterior part of the hip and can radiate to the skin of the stomach, resulting from inflammation of a sensory nerve that goes near the Iliac crest and the superficial part of the hip. This type of pain tends to involve just a limited area only.The suggested strategy would be: conservative therapy, such as physical therapy, weight reduction to reduce abdominal girth, moist heat application, Complex B vitamin, analgesics, and anti-inflammatory drugs as Ibuprofen and avoid wearing constrictive garments, belts, or braces that impart excessive focal pressure at the lateral aspect of the affected hip. If does not get better with these measures it is strongly recommend to be evaluated by a orthopedic surgeon and maybe consider the local corticosteroid injection which may provide more chronic relief of symptoms. You have to be patient because the improvement in these cases does not occur overnight.

Have a Question? Ask The Doctor Here.

Sign In to join in the conversation.

Related Answers:

I had my 3rd coil fitted 12 days ago, it was difficult to insert and had bad cramps after and bleed really heavy for ...

I have had a numbess and pain in my left hip ever since giving birth and its been over a year. It feels like its gett...

A couple nights ago I had sex and had two small milky white clumps came out and the next day I'm felling strange cram...

For the past couple of weeks I have had moderate pelvic cramping and pressure. It sometimes radiates into my lower ba...

Severe low back pain on right side,right low abdomen pain,severe right testical pain

I've been experiencing lower quadrant pain with swelling and I've been spotting for a month.I've had pain there for o...

I have tailbone pain for no apparent reason and it is increasing in intensity.

Im 18, and just had a baby two months ago. I had normal bleeding for five weeks then at six weeks I started beeding a...

im having bad abdominal pain on the right side and it goes into my sides. iv had cat scans, ultra sounds blood work, ...

I have been getting lower abdomen pain and a burning pain in my vagina and i have bad back apin im n my period but i...

You’re in good hands, meet ATD’s founding physicians.

Dr. Suneel Sharman M.D.

  • Board Certified GP
  • CMO ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Adjunct Professor at U Of T

Dr. Kunaal Jindal M.D.

  • Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
  • Director ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Fellowship Training Atlanta, GA