183 Physicians Online

Soreness in throat or vocal cords

I have experienced soreness in my throat for approximately 2 years. It began about a year ago while working at a call center, I was talking a lot on phones constantly, approximately 4 hrs per day, six days per week. The company moved out of state 18 months ago. My throat is still very agitated and my voice always sounds raspy. I spend very little time talking to anyone any longer. i thought the soreness in my vocal cords would have returned to normal my now. I will be so grateful for your assistance.  Thank you

Your symptoms suggest that you have developed a vocal cord polyp or nodule. These conditions commonly develop in situations such as yours in which there is voice overuse and usually resolve when the voice receives adequate rest. An examination of the vocal cords by a ENT surgeon will confirm the diagnosis and he/she will educate you on the measures to take to ensure complete recovery. Occasionally, conservative treatment fails and surgical removal of the nodule or polyp is required.

Sign In to join in the conversation.

You’re in good hands, meet ATD’s founding physicians.

Dr. Suneel Sharman

• Board Certified GP
  • CMO ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Adjunct Professor at U Of T

Dr. Kunaal Jindal

• Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
  • Director ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Fellowship Training Atlanta, GA