Soreness outside vagina

Patient

Q: Since past 1 day my vagina is sore and have itching. The vaginal lips also seem a lil swollen. I have no discharge, no odour and no pain while urinating. Just soreness. I had protected sex 5 days ago and did not feel a discomfort after that.
I had strep throat infection and have been on antibiotic for past one week.also im pollen allergic and take anti histhamin regularly.
Apart from this there has been no change in my diet or lifestyle.

Symptoms:  Itching, soreness
Doctor

A:   Thank you for your question. The soreness that you are experiencing may have several different etiologies. One cause could be due to your course of antibiotics. Antibiotics can cause disturbances in the vagina's pH and normal bacterial flora, resulting in irritation and possible yeast infections. A second possibility is that the you could have sustained irritation from the type of condom that was used when you had sexual intercourse five days ago. We recommend that you ere on the side of caution and have the area examined by your doctor, to determine what the exact cause of your soreness is. You may be required to use some prescription topical creams to reduce the soreness, itching and swelling.

Thank you for choosing askthedoctor.com