Spinal pain on L-5 S1

Q: What is the best way to help my back pain after a spinal fusion? I no longer get pain meds, I also didnt do physical therapy because my neurosurgeon didnt make me because I'm young. I'm 19, had it done when I was 18. What do I do? This cold weather kills me, my fusion was on L-5, S1.

Symptoms:  Can't bend over cause its just awful.
Spinal pain on L-5 S1-1

A:   Thank you for your question. We are sorry you are in such pain. Unfortunately with spinal fusion surgery, the recovery time can be quite long and the pain you are experiencing can last for an even longer time. Your pain can be managed effectively with a combination of physiotherapy, massage therapy, and prescription medication. It is important that you see your doctor or schedule a consultation with a pain specialist in order to determine what will be the best pain management regime for your lower back pain. Please follow up with your doctor.

Thank you for consulting AskTheDoctor.com