Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Spinal pain on L-5 S1

Spinal pain on L-5 S1

Patient: What is the best way to help my back pain after a spinal fusion? I no longer get pain meds, I also didnt do physical therapy because my neurosurgeon didnt make me because I’m young. I’m 19, had it done when I was 18. What do I do? This cold weather kills me, my fusion was on L-5, S1.

Symptoms: Can’t bend over cause its just awful.

Spinal pain on L-5 S1-1

Doctor: Thank you for your question. We are sorry you are in such pain. Unfortunately with spinal fusion surgery, the recovery t ime can be quite long and the pain you are experiencing can last for an even longer time. Your pain can be managed effectively with a combination of physiotherapy, massage therapy, and prescription medication. It is important that you see your doctor or schedule a consultation with a pain specialist in order to determine what will be the best pain management regime for your lower back pain. Please follow up with your doctor.Thank you for consulting AskTheDoctor.com