Spinal Stenosis surgery.

Q: I am a male of 53 years old. In 2011 I was diagnose with Multiple Sclerosis. I experience pain in my legs and if I don’t keep the pain under control the pain will spread throughout my entire body and then my limbs will start jerking.
I currently keep all this under control with Lyrica and pain pills.
About six months ago I started experiencing a different kind of pain starting from my lower back and down my right leg and foot to the point where I cannot walk, stand and sometimes even sit. I was later diagnose with sever Spinal Stenosis.
As a fix my doctor raised the dosage of both the Lyrica and pain medication and after about a week I started to feel better.
I know that I am just masking the pain to feel better but my real question is, am I just causing more damage by masking the pain? How long should I or could I go on living like this. Should I opt to have surgery? If I wait too long am I going to make things worse?

Symptoms:  Shooting pain from my lower back to my leg and foot making it hard/impossible to walk or even stand.

A:   Hello
Thank you for posting your query on ATD.

I have gone through your query and understand your concern. If are not improving by medicines then you should opt for surgery. There is not much damage done in waiting but disability increases. It is not possible to judge how long you can live like this. But if disability is present, then it is better to get operated early. Hope your query get answered.

Wishing you a good health.
Take care.