Spitting up blood: what are the causes

Patient : My husband has been spitting up blood for a while now and it is getting worst and happening more often. Any idea what could be causing him to spit up blood. He is 40 years old and in perfect health. He has no pain or discomfort.
Doctor :   Spitting up blood can be due to various causes. Some of them are a perforated peptic ulcer, esophageal cancer, lung prob lems, blood clotting problems etc. In any case this is an alarming sign and needs to be investigated further. Please consult a physician in person for a more detailed history and physical examination along with tests like an chest x ray and a endoscopy if required.