Splenectomy: Common Post-Op Complications

Patient

Q: I had my spleen removed and i was wondering would this effect the rate my body removes alcohol from my system?

Doctor

A:   The liver is the main organ that detoxifies alcohol. The spleen barely has a role in this area, if at all. Patients who have had splenectomy are more prone to infections that is why vaccines and certain infectious precautions should be done. Also, some patients post-splenectomy are more prone to develop leukemias and lymphomas. If your liver has not been affected or complicated prior or after the splenectomy then there should be no changes with regards to your body’s alcohol detoxification function. I am NOT saying though you can have all the liquor you want. Anything too little or too much is never good; have everything in moderation, as the saying goes. I do hope I have answered your question. Take care always.