Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Splinters in hand

Splinters in hand

Patient: I was riding my bike today as i dropped in to a thrown planted area, my hands have around 6-7 splinters inside of it i have pulled out some that i could grab with the twizzers, i have around 3-4 left in my hand, it does cause some pain when i fist my hand but i cannot grab the splinter to take it out, although i could see and feel where the pain is coming from, what do u recommend, i heard ifni leave it my body will get rid of it.

Symptoms: Small red dots on my fingers and in my palm

Doctor: Thanks for consulting us. Splinters are infective. First of all yo need a shot of Tetanus vaccine and splinters are to b e taken out completely. Antibiotics ans antiinammatory medications are to be used for some time to prevent infection. Consult doctor for better treatment.