Spondylolisthesis L5-S1 grade 2 with Degenerative Disc Disease

Q: My X-rays show L5 - S1 grade 2 (13mm) spondylolisthesis. L5 defects are present and disc narrowed and L4 - L5 disc is also narrowed in serious pain when standing and sitting for short periods how serious is this condition and what can I do? Have bone spurs and arthritis in that area of back also degenerative disc disease.

A:    Degenerative disc disease produces changes in the vertebrae that along with the canal narrowing are causing a nerve compression which is the cause of the pain. The treatment options depend on the age, severity of the pain, neurologic symptoms present and if you have some other associated health issue. The first approach is conservative as a Physical Therapy program aimed to control pain and inflammation along with anti-inflammatory medication, if there is no improvement and with time the pain is worse and intractable you should get a reevaluation by an orthopedic surgeon to decide if Surgery might be consider as a treatment option for you.