Spongy Mass Under Surgical Scar

Patient

Q: What causes soft, spongy material to form behind a surgical scar? You can't see the tissue from the skin surface, but when you press, there's a spongy mass that gives under the skin. It feels almost like one of those stress balls that changes shape under pressure. My friend had testicular cancer before (hence the scar). The tissue was there for about a week or two, but can no longer be felt under the skin.

Doctor

A:   Thank you for your question. It possible that this mass is actually a keloid. Keloids are caused by an overgrowth of collagen in the are of a scar, whether it be surgical or from injury. This excess collagen production can great a spongy painless mass which can increase in size, or regress completely on their own. We are not certain as to exactly where yout keloid may be but it is important to note that this is in a very sensitive area of your genital region. It is possible that you follow up with your doctor, to have this swelling examined.

Thank for consulting AskTheDoctor.com