Sport Related Injury

Patient

Q: In mid-April of this year I occurred a meniscus tear in shot put and I received a brace from the hospital but was unable to wear it because I am in between sizes. I never saw an ortho specialist because I was a minor at the time so I just listened to my mom say she would make an appointment but, I was told that it would heal over time. It's going on 7 months and I am getting into training for college but the I can still feel the pain and I also feel it in my calf when I am going upstairs. Have I waited too long to fix the problem?

Symptoms:  Pain
Doctor

A:   Thank you for your question. No you have not waited too long to have this addressed by an orthopedic surgeon. Meniscus tears can take quite a long time to heal given the poor circulation of blood in the knee joint, plus the fact that you are competitive athlete. It is important that before you start training once more, that you have your knee thoroughly evaluated by a specialist along with MRI's of your knee joint to visualize the tear at this stage of your recovery. This will assist in determine whether you are fit to train and compete or if you are at risk of serious career ending injury. You may need to wear a brace for a longer period of time or you may need surgical repair of this tear. This can only be determined after thorough examination by the specialist.

Thank you for consulting AskTheDoctor.com