Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Spotted twice after sex- normal?

Spotted twice after sex- normal?

Patient: My last menstrual cycle was February 11-15th. on the feb 27th I had light spotting following sexual intercourse. I thought it was strange but bypassed it. The same thing happened on March 5th, light pink spotting following sex. I am not duefor my next period until March 11th and have never experienced spotting before. My breasts are very tender and I’m super tired and I’m just curious as to whether I should be worried or if the spotting seems normal? oneof my friends mentioned pregnancy but I’m not sure if it’s too early to tell or if my spotting is normal and I’m experiencing PMS signs. Any help would be appreciated thanks

Symptoms: Spotting, sore breasts, tired

Doctor: Hello,Thank you for your query at AskTheDoctor.comI understand your concern.Considering, the first day of your c ycle was on 11th February, you mostly ovulated around the 25th-27th of February. So if you did have unprotected intercourse, there is a slight chance of pregnancy. The spotting that you developed at that point was mostly secondary to the mid-cycle bleeding.You again had minor spotting on 5th of March. Sometimes, it is possible to experience such symptoms before getting the actual period. I will still advise you to get the urine pregnancy test done to rule out pregnancy.If such intermittent bleeding persists, you need to consult a Gynaecologist and proceed accordingly. It could be due to minor hormonal imbalance. So a detailed evaluation will be required.Hope this was helpful,Regards