Spotting

Patient

Q: Hi! I've been trying to conceive for 2 years and its seems like on months where we give it a good go I seem to have spotting 2 or 3 days before I get my period. We started insemination last month with clomid. Last month I had spotting for 3 days, this month so far it's been 5 days. On months without insemination or clomid or trying to conceive, my period comes right on time without any spotting. What is causing the spotting on months we actively try? Thanks!

Doctor

A:   Pre-menstrual spotting is quite common and is of significance only if it is heavy.There are numerous causes of premenstrual spotting such as slight hormonal imbalances, uterine polyps, Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS), thyroid disorders, diabetes, endometriosis, vaginal infections etc.
Emotional stress may also cause a woman’s menstrual cycle to get disturbed which can cause spotting or irregular periods. The physiology behind spotting is that the uterus starts shedding whenever there is a dip in the levels of estrogen and progesterone levels in the body. Typically this is seen around the time of ovulation or in clomid stimulated cycles just before the periods. There is nothing to worry about this as long as the spotting lasts for more than a week or is very heavy. As long as it lasts only a couple of days it will not interfere with your fertility or chances to conceive.