Spotting after Intercourse during first month of pregnancy.

Patient

Q: Hi I am 4 weeks 5 days pregnant last night i had an orgasm without penetration, then i had spotting first a little red then it turned brown it only happened when i wiped, this morning it was completely gone. Is it normal to have spotting with little cramps?

Doctor

A:   Bleeding is sometimes seen during the first half of the pregnancy and may be due to implantation of the embryo, infection or due to bleeding from vessel in the cervix after intercourse. Though sexual activity during pregnancy does not cause miscarriage, it is advisable to refrain from any sexual activity till further evaluation by your family doctor.