Spotting after Pap Smear, Do I need to see a doctor?

Patient

Q: Okay lets start with this: On the 23rd of Jan. I went in for a pap smear and I bleed after like I was having a period. This has NEVER happened to me before. I bleed for most of that day. The first day of my menstrual was Jan.10. Okay now about four days ago my husband and I were having intercourse and I bleed again. Not time for my period yet. It bleed little and not much on pad in the morning. It stopped. Again the same thing happened again last night and again this morning it stopped. I have very sore breast and I am not due for my period for at least another 6 days or more as they fluctuate in duration between 28 to 34 days apart. What do you think might be the cause of this. Oh and I should tell you that nothing has come of my pap smear. As my doctor only calls if anything is wrong and i have not had a call back.

Doctor

A:   It is common to experience some amount of bleeding after a Pap smear as a result of injury to the cervical lining due to the procedure. However this bleeding should be light, mostly experienced as spotting and should resolve on its own. There is a possibility that during intercourse the cervix could have been irritated leading to the bleeding. I would suggest that you refrain from sexual intercourse for a week till the cervix heals completely. If the bleeding continue or gets worse, I would suggest that you see your doctor for an examination.