Spotting after period.

Patient : I got my period as usual last wednesday, and it ended sunday as always. I have been on birth control for over 4 years or longer. Today I have some light spotting. On Sunday I had intercourrse with my boyfriend without a condom. I was wondering if it's possible to be pregnant that soon or if I should be worried. Last year, I had spotting and saw a doctor and he said it was my vagina cleaning itself out.
Symptoms:  Light spotting, brownish reddish
Doctor :   Hello, Thank you for your query at AskTheDoctor.com I understand your concern. From your history, you got your period last Wednesday which continued till Sunday. You mentioned you had intercourse with him on Sunday. I am not very sure if you referred to the same Sunday when you ended your period or the next one. If it was the same then you should not worry as ovulation occurs around the 14th day of a woman's cycle, and considering that even if you did have unprotected intercourse on the 5th day of your cycle, you should not worry. Now if you referred to the next Sunday which is around 12th day of your cycle, then there are chances you may end up getting pregnant so close to your ovulation. So if that is the case, you should take a urine pregnancy test to rule it out. Light spotting can happen at times mid-cycle due to hormonal imbalance and is nothing abnormal. Just look at the dates, if you had intercourse close to your ovulation date then take the test. Hope this was helpful, Regards.