Spotting after taking OCP;s

Patient

Q: I just started taking the pill two weeks ago but I have been "spotting" for almost 5 days now. I know that spotting can occur but does it always occur for this long?

Doctor

A:   Yes, spotting could be caused by your recent start of OCP’s. Let me reassure you that this is common and might happen for the next 2 months.
I would not recommend you to stop your contraceptives; this would stop by itself. If your spotting prolongs for more than 3 cycles, I would suggest you to consult your gynecologist to change your OCP’s. I wish you the best.