Spotting between periods for the first time after twelve years on the pill.

Patient

Q: I am 29 and have been taking birth control on and off (mostly on) for 12 years. I have never experienced spotting between my cycles, but have been for the last two days now. It is very light and I have been taking the pill I am currently taking for over six months (Previfem). I try to take my pill the same time everyday, but am occasionally off by no more than two hours either way. I am a smoker and have read that it could be causing my spotting. Is this something I should be worried about?

Doctor