Spotting for three days with Lo Loestrin

Patient

Q: I am on the pill loloestrin and I take my pills perfectly every day. I am not supposed to get my period for another week and a half but i've been spotting for three days. I have not been sexually active for over a month and had my last period. I've been on the pill for about three years and never spotted. So is this normal?

Doctor

A:   I do understand your concern. Spotting with oral contraceptives is a common problem, particularly during the first several months of use. However, if you miss your periods, you may need to do a pregnancy test. Some women miss periods or have light periods on birth control pills when they are pregnant. If the spotting continues into the next period, I would suggest that you consult your doctor.