Spotting while on depo

Patient

Q: Ive been spotting for over a week now and i have been on the depo shot for about a year or so now, is it normal?

Doctor

A:   Thank you for your question. One of the well documented side effects of the depo-provera (depo) shot is irregular menstrual cycles (spotting) or absence of menses. This contraceptive is an analog of the hormone progesterone, a normally produced hormone in the ovaries.
Even though you have been using this form of contraceptive for a year now, each time the shot is administered, you may experience side effects. We recommend that if you are concerned with your spotting, that you follow up with your doctor to be examined in order to rule out any other causes of your spotting such as dysfunctional uterine bleeding.

Thank you for choosing askthedoctor.com