Sprained back muscles while carrying weights

Patient

Q: I. my son sprained his back while helping unload two wagons of hay. my question is: is it alright if i give him a acetaminophen tablet for his pain. he is 20 yrs old and has a previous perscription for when he went to the dentist.

Doctor

A:    Yes, you may give him Acetaminophen for the pain, your son after doing that effort is experiencing a mechanical lower back pain, meaning sprained back muscles.The conservative treatment of the mechanical lower back pain is basically relative rest, avoiding all the activities that reproduce pain or discomfort, such as weight lifting. Your son has to keep a good posture at all times and sleeping with a pillow between the knees while lying on one side, this may increase comfort. Some doctors recommend lying on your back with a pillow under your knees.   Control of the pain and inflammation with Ice, transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation (TENS), Physical Therapy and anti-inflammatory medication (“Aleve”). It is very important to keep a consistent exercise routine with stretching and extension-flexion which may reduce tension and stress to the spinal joints. The back pain will improve within several days. Do not be discouraged if your son  doesn't get a fast improvement. Almost everyone gets better within a month of onset of the pain. If this is not the case, your son should have a re assessment by the orthopedic surgeon.