Sprained right ankle: how to reduce swelling

Patient: What can i do to reduce swelling on a badly sprained ankle/foot due to fall my right foot is swollen from right side ankle to my toes also badly bruised

Doctor: From all the ankle injuries, the sprains are the most common. Ankle sprains are classified in 3 grades as follows: Grade I: mild degree of swelling and stretch has occurred to the ligaments. Weight bearing is possible. Grade II: moderate swelling and an incomplete tearing of ligaments, also mild instability may be present and also pain with weight bearing. Grade III: severe swelling and pain, complete rupture of at least 1 ligament, there is remarkable instability.First thing to do: apply ice and lift the affected limb for the first 24 hours, to control the pain and swelling. Physical therapy is recommended for sprains grade II and III. For less severe injuries, grade I, the strategy would be: immediate, protected ambulation, and physical therapy should emphasize exercises to get back the normal range of motion and strengthening of the ankle muscles and ligaments.Treatment during this acute phase is aimedto minimize swelling and pain, allowing the patient to begin walking. The acute phase of treatment should last for 1-3 daysafter the injury. A combination of protection, relative rest, ice, compression, elevation, and support is used. Also the anti inflammatory drugs (as Ibuprofen) help in reducing swelling and pain.