Squeezing your uterus too hard

Patient

Q: I was getting up and accidentally squeezed my uterus really hard between my leg and stomach area and I am also pregnant, would that hurt the baby?

Symptoms:  None
Doctor

A:   Hi,
The possibility of hurting the baby depends on the gestational age.
Usually upto 12 weeks uterus remains inside the pelvis and after that uterus becomes abdominal organ.
So, if your gestational age is less than 3 months, there is less possibility of hurting.
If your gestational age is more than 3 months and uterus is palpable abdominally, there is some possibility that uterus might have received the hurt.
But usually amniotic fluid protects the baby from this type of hurts and pressures.
If fetal movements are normal and there are no symptoms like pain abdomen, bleeding per vaginum etc, there is less possibility for fetal damage.
It is preferable to sleep in left lateral position and while getting up you should gradually get up, so that you can avoid pressure on uterus.
Take care.