Stabbing Foot Pain in Heel when walking but not stretching.

Q: A couple days when I got out of bed I almost fell on my face because of the pain in the heel of my foot. It is worse when I have had it up and then try to step on it again like it is all swollen radiating to the ankle and some nerve pain up to the outer side of my knee. I have tried to stretch it to see it if was fasciitis but it does not hurt when I flex my foot or when I try to walk. I can walk to the pad of my foot with mild discomfort. My inner part foot is swollen right before the heel. What could cause this all of a sudden? I have to be careful with it even when in bed.

A:   Thank you for consulting us. It is possible that what you are experiencing is the exacerbation of complications associated with plantar fasciitis. This can present in several different ways depending on the severity of the inflammation of the plantar fascia. In order to determine if you have plantar fasciitis you will need to be examined by your doctor and have diagnostic imaging performed in order to determine the extent of inflammation to the plantar fascia. Treatment includes analgesic medication, physical therapy, corticosteroid injections, shoe orthotics and lastly, in the most severe cases surgical correction. Please follow up with your doctor.

Thank you for consulting