Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Stabbing pain in shoulder

Stabbing pain in shoulder

Patient: I was walking out of my kitchen and took a deep inhale and felt a sudden sharp stabbing pain in my left shoulder that hurt so bad I almost dropped what I was carrying, after every time I have taken a deep breath I can feel a less severe but similar pan in the same place and in my left side armpit, I am a 26 year old male, I’m 6’2 and 173 and I quit smoking 3 weeks ago , my question is should I be worried

Symptoms: Sharp stabbing pain under left shoulder blade and left armpit when I take a deep breath

Doctor: Thank you for your question. This pain that you are experiencing could be due to a number of causes. Without a physical examination we cannot tell you exactly what is going on but we can shed some light on some of the possibilities as to what could be causing your pain. Inspiratory pain in the area of the shoulder blade could be due to intercostal muscle spasms. The intercostal muscles are muscles that surround the ribs. A second possible cause of this sharp pain could be due to irritation of the pleural membrane. This is a membrane that lines the rib cage, surrounding the lungs. This is referred to as pleurisy. Another possible cause for pain in the shoulder blade area could be due to inflammation of the pancreas. This is called referred pain. You have not described any other symptoms that point towards acute pancreatitis, such as abdominal pain, diarrhea, nausea, and vomiting however we do not want to rule this out completely. We recommend that you proceed to see your doctor to be examined for this pain and determine what is the exact cause of your shoulder pain.Thank you for choosing Askthedoctor.com