Stabbing Shoulder Pain

Q: I woke up at 4:00 AM with a sharp stabbing pain in my lower right shoulder. It hurts when i laugh or move it at all. Should i see a doctor?

Symptoms:  Sharp pain when moving/laughing

A:   Hi.
Thank you for writing to ATD.

It seems that you have muscle strain. Muscle strain happens when a muscle is injured and the toxins released cause pain. You can try RICE therapy to help reduce this pain.
RICE stands for Rest, Ice, Compression and Elevation.
Rest the shoulder and prevent weight lifting and movement of the shoulder.
Ice the shoulder for 15 mins at a time every hour and up to 5 times a day.
Compress the shoulder using Crepe bandage. This will reduce the swelling in the shoulder.
Elevate the shoulder above heart level to allow blood flow back to the heart.

Talk to your Doctor if the pain does not reduce after 3 days. All the best. Wish you a speedy recovery.