Stammering problem in my speech.

Patient

Q: Doctor,
I'm 23 years old, student in an university. in Sri Lanka. I have a stammer when I talk to someone. But there is no stammer when I talk alone. It's really hard to bear in my life. So what can I do for this to solve my stammering problem?? Is there a medicine to take for this problem? I have blocks and pauses in my speech when I talk to someone. Please be kind enough to find me a helpful answer.

Symptoms:  Stammering
Doctor

Thanks for choosing "Ask The Doctor" for posting your query.
The problem that you are having is more related to the social anxiety. That makes you stammer while you are in front of someone and you don't stammer when you are alone. Unfortunately drugs are not a solution for this problem. You need relaxation therapy for this problem and this is generally trained by a clinical psychologist who is an expert in this field. He will teach you how to practice relaxation and your stammering will reduce by this.
Do meet a clinical psychologist in your area.
Hope I am able to answer your concerns.

Wish you good health!