Standard HSV treatment

Patient

Q: Hi...

I currently live in China and need the advice of a western docotor

The questions is in regards to my wife. I have been recently diagnosed with HSV-2 so my wife who is yet to show symptoms also went to get tested. She has also been diagnosed with the virus. She has been told that she must do 14 days of IV medicine. She has also been informed that they virus can be cured. Now I know this is untrue as I have checked numerous websites. My question is "Is there any need for this IV medicine?" She isn't showing symptoms and I was just prescribed the usual Acyclovir in a cream and tablet form.

I have a complete mistrust of chinese hospital as they are profit based organisations where I hear doctors even recieve commision for the medicine they prescribe!

Thanks in advance

Doctor

A:   HSV is nowadays a very common infection, and most individuals show some evidence of HSV infection. HSV-1 is usually acquired in childhood by contact with oral secretions that contain the virus. The presence of HSV-2 can be used as an indirect measure of sexual activity in some cases. Up to 80% of herpes simplex infections are asymptomatic. The HSV infection worldwide has increased over the last several decades, making it a major public health concern. Prompt recognition of herpes simplex infection and early initiation of therapy are very important in the management of the disease. So far the HSV cannot be cured only treat the outbreaks.Some preventive measures include: avoiding contact with individuals who (often asymptomatically) are excreting the virus in saliva or genital secretions. Daily antiviral therapy can be given to reduce episodes of asymptomatic genital shedding and to further reduce the risk of transmission. Avoid touching saliva, skin, or mucous membranes that have sores. Acyclovir, a synthetic drug, is the standard treatment for herpes simplex virus type 1 (HSV-1) and herpes simplex virus type 2 (HSV-2) infections. Inhibits activity of HSV-1 and HSV-2. , the patients experience least pain and fastest resolution of cutaneous lesions with prompt start of therapy, usually within 48 hours after rash onset. Selectively incorporated into infected cells. May prevent recurrent outbreaks. Long record of use with excellent safety profile.Available as PO (oral) suspension 200 mg/5 mL, tablets, capsules, injection, and topical formulation. Topical form does not appear to be effective in recurrent mucocutaneous or genital HSV infections and offers no advantage over PO (oral) form in treating primary genital HSV infections.