Starting Birthcontrol for acne

Patient

Q: If you are wishing to take birth control for acne purposed only, does it matter when you start your first pack? Do you need to wait untill your period, or can you just start? Will this mess up anything hormonally?

Doctor

A:   Hello, I understand your concern about oral contraceptives. It would be recommended to start in the first day of your menstrual cycle but it is not mandatory to follow that rule in the case of Acne Treatment, but it would be better because you could prevent irregularities in your menstrual cycle such as spotting and early or delayed menses.Another important issue before starting oral contraceptive is that pregnancy has to be ruled out and you should avoid smoking when taking them. I wish you the best.