Starting Nuvaring with no period?

Patient

Q: My doctor prescribed me the Nuvaring two weeks ago, and said to start it a day after my period started. Well, I stopped using the pill two months ago and have not had my period. I know I'm not pregnant because I haven't had sex in months. I was wondering if it would be safe to start the Nuvaring now without having my period in order to try to regulate my period better and be protected?

Doctor

A:   It’s healthy to insert NuvaRing on the correct day whether or not you’re still menstruating.  If used correctly, consistently, and all of the time, the ring can be up to 99.7% effective. The most important thing is to stay on schedule. If the NuvaRing is inserted a day or two late, your hormonal levels could fluctuate, causing ovulation and increasing the risk of pregnancy.