Starting Nuvaring with no period?

Patient : My doctor prescribed me the Nuvaring two weeks ago, and said to start it a day after my period started. Well, I stopped using the pill two months ago and have not had my period. I know I'm not pregnant because I haven't had sex in months. I was wondering if it would be safe to start the Nuvaring now without having my period in order to try to regulate my period better and be protected?
Doctor :   It’s healthy to insert NuvaRing on the correct day whether or not you’re still menstruating.  If used correctly, consist nsistently, and all of the time, the ring can be up to 99.7% effective. The most important thing is to stay on schedule. If the NuvaRing is inserted a day or two late, your hormonal levels could fluctuate, causing ovulation and increasing the risk of pregnancy.