Starting the Pill

Patient

Q:  
How long should I wait between starting the pill and having unprotected sex?

Doctor

A:   If you are starting oral contraceptive pills, first I would like to suggest you taking the first pill on the first day of your menses. This would help avoid possible irregular menstruation or spotting and also will rule out possible pregnancy.
It is highly recommended to avoid having unprotected sex for at least the first week on your pills; some doctors suggest avoiding unprotected sex for the first month. However you could try using backup methods such as female or male condoms for the first month. After that they won’t be necessary if you comply with your contraceptive pills.