STD infections showing up in dipstick urine test

Patient

Q: Does a dipstick urine test detect the presence of any type of infection, even if caused by an STI such as Gonorrhea or Chlamydia? I understand that it definitely cannot determine if the infection is caused by an STI, but will it still an infection in the test?

Symptoms:  Pain/burnig during urination, discharge, delayed urination, weak urine flow
Doctor

A:   Thank you for your question.
In general, a urine dipstick test does not detect specific bacterial infections such as Gonorrhea or Chlamydia. The detect substances which are associated with the presence of bacteria in the urinary tract and bladder which will be present in the urine sample. Such substances include proteins and leukocytes (white blood cells), nitrates, blood, and alteration in the pH of the urine.

If these are detected with the urine dipstick test, the urine sample can be sent for further laboratory testing and culturing, which will determine the exact bacteria that is causing the infection, and whether it may be an STI or not. These results will help your doctor in prescribing the most effective medication in treating the infection. We hope this answers your question.

Thank you for consulting AskTheDoctor.com

Patient: Does this include the dipstick urine test detecting dishcarge from the urethra?