Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Std or pregnancy which one or both

Std or pregnancy which one or both

Patient: My period was for days early and I spotted for four days. it also burns when I pee and ive headache and fatigue and nausea could I be pregnant with an std

Symptoms: Spotting dark red blood then brown. nausea head aches and burning when I pee

Doctor: An unprotected intercourse results in pregnancy only when a woman is in her so called “Fertile Period”. The fe rtile period of a woman is determined by analyzing her menstrual cycle with an ovulation calculator or fertility chart. Normally, the menstrual cycle is a 28 day cycle. During the 14th day after a period, the ovum is released. This process is called ovulation and the days 12 to 16 days after a period are said to be a woman’s most fertile period. Ovulation may not occur at a predictable time in the menstrual cycle, however. A number of factors may cause an unexpectedly early or late ovulation, even for women with a history of regular menstrual cycles.A pregnancy test attempts to determine whether a woman is pregnant. Markers that indicate pregnancy are found in urine and blood, and pregnancy tests require sampling one of these substances. Most chemical tests for pregnancy look for the presence of the beta subunit of hCG, or human chorionic gonadotropin, in the blood or urine. hCG can be detected in urine or blood after implantation, which occurs six to twelve days after fertilization.The dark red or brown spotting, nausea, head aches and burning urination may be related to other medical problems too. It can only be detected by a physician after a check-up. You might be wondering if you need a test for sexually transmitted diseases (STDs). You might be wondering if your partner needs one. Or you may simply be interested in learning more about STD testing. Whatever the reason, the more information you have, the better you can protect your sexual health. If you think you may have been exposed to an infection, getting tested for STDs is a great way to protect your sexual health. It’s also a great way to protect the health of your sex partners. You may, however, get a home pregnancy test done and discuss the result at the doctor visit.