Stem Cell treatment for DDD

Patient

Q: I have been following with enthusiasm reports over the last few years claiming that Stem Cells may be able to reverse effects of degenerative disc disease? I am 26 and suffer (fairly mildly) from 2 degenerated discs caused by lifting incorrectly when i was 17. it does affect my life I cant lift and have had to alter my career plans accordingly. I have had Xray and MRI to find cause of back pain and been told 2 Degenerated discs caused by my early injury. MRI revealed loss of moisture etc between discs and a small protrusion up against one of my nerves. My questions are: How likely is it i will be able to benefit from stem cell therapy in the future and how far away is a treatment? Would very much appreciate a reply Regards

Doctor

A:    The treatment is already in use since 2007 and it consist of  collection of your own bone marrow cells, guided by fluoroscopy (X rays) and re-injection of those cells to the specific site in the joint or disc that you want to repair.  The company that is doing it is called: “Regenerative Science Inc.” and “Regenexx” is the patent-pending procedure; they are still collecting data as surveys and case studies about the effectiveness of the treatment. Actually the indications as of 2010 are: problems with knee, hip, ankle, lumbar discs L5-S1, fracture non-union, disrupted talo-fibular ligament.    You can ask your doctor or specialist (orthopedic surgeon) about that treatment alternative or get information about the Regenexx program and the physicians at Regenerative Science Inc.