Sterile pyuria in urine

Patient

Q: What is sterile pyuria? I recently had an episode of urethritis and had many tests done. I had a NAAT done for Chlamydia and Gonorrhea and several urine tests for a urinary track infection. All tests came back negative, including the 3 urinary track infection tests using a dipstick. I received oral sex about a week prior to the symptoms starting, which makes me think it is from the oral sex. However, because of the tests done, I am not sure what it is from because all came back negative. Is there such thing as penile discharge without bacteria?

Symptoms:  Burning urinating, discharge, delayed urination, weak urine flow, cloudy urine
Doctor

A:   Hello. Welcome to Ask The Doctor.
Sterile pyuria is urine which contains white blood cells in Urine routine examination and found sterile that is no growth in Urine culture.
Sterile pyuria can occur most commonly due to Antibiotic use prior giving sample of urine culture.
It can also occur as a side effect from some medications such as acetaminophen. It can also be found in renal tuberculosis.
However, there are many other causes, like infectious disease, Kidney problems, Prostate infections.
As far as discharge from the penis is concerned it can be due to Prostatitis or it can be semen.
I would advise you following tests:
1. Ultrasound whole Abdomen.
2. Urine culture.
I hope it helps.
Stay Healthy.

Patient: So if a urine test is taken and everything is found as normal, does this mean that there is sterile pyuria if I was showing symptoms as discharge?
Doctor: Hi.
Sterile Pyuria would be labelled if you have WBC in Urine routine and Microscopy.