Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Sternum pain when doing dips whats happening?

Sternum pain when doing dips whats happening?

Patient: Hey, so typically I just sit around and do nothing and recently I started becoming very active and i have a retired navy seal mentor to help push me. About 3-5 weeks ago I lifted something up wrong and I heard a pop near the top of my near it doesn’t really hurt much now but just a little. But that’s not the problem, Its when I do dips in the air or bend over with my legs spread apart wide It hurts near the top of my sternum and lower right pec to the left, Slight pain near my neck as well.

Symptoms: Just pain in the chest and right side of neck

Doctor: Thank you for writing to us.I think that you have a muscle strain because of the heavy workouts. You can try RICE th erapy to get treated.Rest the muscle and avoid too much exerciseIce the muscle for 15 minutes every hour 4 to 5 times a dayCompression – you cannot compress the chestElevation is also not possible because It is not possible to elevate the chest above the heart levelYou can also take Paracetamol tablets and massage to help you recover quickly.I wish you have a speedy recovery. All the best.