Steroid injections and weight gain

Patient

Q: I took one injection of dexamethasone for an allergy reaction , does one injection cause weight gain or water retention ?

Symptoms:  coughing , short breath , red skin face and ears but they were gone after the the allerfin and the dexamethasone injection
Doctor

A:   Long term steroid usage or drug abuse is associated with gain as steroids can cause weight gain by increasing appetite and fluid retention. One time use for allergic conditions does not cause any weight gain or any other side effects that are associated with long term use of steroids. But find the allergen that caused you allergy, to avoid allergy and further steroid injections.